6.24.2007

PCYC Mermaid Regatta

Well, we did it again - we won the PCYC Mermaid and took first in the ECSA Spring Series. And I mean 'we'. While my starts left a lot to be desired, the crew worked hard to make sure Bad Penny went as fast as she could to catch up with the fleet in both races. It was nice to cross the line first both times, even though Sneaker beat us on corrected time in the first race.

There were some thrilling moments. Watching the beach get closer and closer while we were trying to gybe the chute was certainly thrilling, but at least we know now to loosen the downhaul. The last mark rounding in the first race was a testament in courage with Mouse caught on the mark and Sneaker close on our starboard. It was nice to have overlap for room at the mark, which included Mouse.

I experienced my first round-up at the helm when we launched around the wing-mark in the triangle in the second race, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The crew reacted with calm resolve to hoist the jib and drop the chute quickly. The downwind in the windward / leeward leg was quite enjoyable. One thing Sherry didn't prepare me for was how much the swells and wind waves on the ocean affect boat heading. I've been on several ocean races as crew, but never noticed how hard she must have worked against the waves to keep the boat straight. My arms were dead the next day.

It was a great experience sailing with such dedicated and talented women sailors. Like I said in an email to the crew, it's easy to steer the boat when the crew knows how to set the sails. I know it's traditional to recognize the skipper in these situations, but the crew deserves more recognition than me.

I don't have any great pictures of us under sail, just a few of us delivering the boat up to PCYC. If anyone has one, please post them to this site or send them to me and I'll post them. I hope everyone enjoys the break and stays safe.

1 comment:

Cockpit Candy said...

Winnie - I think you did a great job helming and keeping your wits about you. And we did it all w/100% estrogen! Woo Hoo.